Legendary Singer Shamshad Begum Died at 94
Legendary singer Shamshad Begum died on 23 April 2013 in Mumbai due to illness. She was 94 years of age. She was one of the first few playback singers of the Hindi film industry. She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law.
About Shamshad Begum
Current Affairs Quiz
- Shamshad Begum was born on 14 April 1919 in Amritsar, Punjab.
- Her debut was in Lahore on the Peshawar Radio on 16 December 1947.
- Some of her popular Hindi songs include Kabhi Aar Kabhi Paar, Kajra Mohabbat Wala and Mere Piya Gaye Rangoon.
- Her hit tracks included Saiyan Dil Mein Aana Re, Chod Babul Ka Ghar, Leke Pehla Pehla Pyar, Kahin Pe Nigahen Kahin Pe Nishana and Boojh Mera Kya Naam Re.
- She was among the most sought-after female playback singers of 40s.
- She sang in various languages such as Tamil, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi and Bengali apart from Hindi in multi-lingual song Ye Duniya Roop Ki Chor.
- Shamshad Begum also sang for All India Radio (AIR) through the musical group called The Crown Imperial Theatrical Company of Performing Arts.
- She was conferred with the O P Nayyar award for contribution to Hindi film music, in the year 2009.
- In 2009 again, she was conferred with the third-highest civilian honour of India, Padma Bhushan.