Posted on : 20 Jan 2020Views: 350
- Ramanujan machine is an algorithm that automatically generates conjectures (mathematical statements that are proposed as true statements) for fundamental constants.
- In simple words, instead of humans giving a problem as an input and expecting an algorithm to work out a solution, Ramanujan machine works the other way round.
- If we enter a constant, say pi, the algorithm will give an equation which would involve an infinite series whose value, it would propose to be exactly pi.
- Srinivasa Ramanujan was an Indian mathematician who lived during the British Rule in India.
- The algorithm is named after Ramanujan because it reflects the way he worked during his brief life.
- Though he had almost no formal training in pure mathematics, he made substantial contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions, including solutions to mathematical problems then considered unsolvable.
- Throughout his life, Ramanujan came up with novel equations and identities —including equations leading to the value of pi — and it was usually left to formally trained mathematicians to prove these.
Article Related Questions
With reference to Ramanujan Machine, consider the following statements
1.It is an algorithm that can automatically generate a mathematical equation for a given fundamental constant.
2.This algorithm can also solve complex mathematical equations and obtain a solution on providing the input.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 1 only