Storm quake and when are they generated?
Posted on : 20 Dec 2019Views: 98
- It is a new geophysical phenomenon entirely unknown to science - a hybrid entity where powerful storms such as hurricanes trigger seismic episodes that can rumble for hours or even days.
- Storms trigger giant waves in the sea, which cause another type of wave. These secondary waves then interact with the seafloor only in certain places and that causes the shaking.
- Stormquakes are limited to places along the edge of continental shelves or on ocean banks.
- Stormquakes frequently occur in the Maritimes and Labrador Sea in the North American margin.
When is a stormquake generated?
- To be a stormquake the source of the seismic data had to meet several criteria:
- It had to occur during a stormy day.
- It should not to be a part of known earthquake event and belong to a swarm of similar quakes on the same day.
- Stormquakes are confined to certain regions along the coast where seafloor topography has small raised regions called ocean banks.
- Examples of stormquake:
- Hurricane Bill, a storm that formed 10 years ago in the Atlantic Ocean. Bill strengthened into a Category 4 hurricane before weakening to a tropical storm and hitting Newfoundland. This storm caused "numerous seismic events “off the northeast U.S. and Canadian coasts. As Bill approached several stormquakes located offshore New England and Nova Scotia were detected and caused continent-wide ground motions that lasted for about 30 hours.
- Hurricane Ike (2008) and Hurricane Irene (2011) which led to stormquake activity in the Gulf of Mexico, while Irene caused seismic events off the coast of southern Florida.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements about stormquakes:
1.It is a phenomenon where powerful storms trigger giant waves in the sea, which cause another type of wave causing number of seismic episodes.
2.Stormquakes are limited to places along the edge of continental shelves or on ocean banks.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2