Posted on : 24 Feb 2020Views: 436
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) has started the UMMID (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) Initiative which is designed on the concept of ‘Prevention is better than Cure’.
- UMMID aims to create awareness about genetic disorders amongst clinicians to establish molecular diagnostic in hospitals.
- To establish NIDAN (National Inherited Diseases Administration) Kendras to provide counselling, prenatal testing and diagnosis, management, and multidisciplinary care in Government Hospitals wherein the influx of patients is more.
- To produce skilled clinicians in Human Genetics.
- To undertake screening of pregnant women and new born babies for inherited genetic diseases in hospitals at aspirational districts.
- The contribution of genetic disorders to infant and childhood mortality and morbidity is increasing.
- In India’s urban areas, congenital malformations and genetic disorders are the third most common cause of mortality in new-borns. With a very large population and high birth rate, and consanguineous marriage favoured in many communities, prevalence of genetic disorders is high in India.
- The congenital and hereditary genetic diseases are becoming a significant health burden in India, and there was the need for adequate and effective genetic testing and counselling services.
- Though there are excellent medical genetics centres in India providing state‐of‐the‐art patient care services to families with genetic disorders, the number of such centres is small.
- Hence establishment of patient care services for genetic disorders is the need of the time.
- Therefore the Department of Biotechnology has initiated the UMMID program to establish many genetic diagnostic centres in different parts of the country.
- To achieve this, a combined program of training doctors in genetic diagnostics and providing funding to establish genetic diagnostic laboratories and to create awareness about genetic disorders amongst doctors and lay persons, has been meticulously planned.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding UMMID initiative
1.UMMID initiative is started by The Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
2.It aimsto create awareness about genetic disorders amongst clinicians to establish molecular diagnostic in hospitals.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2