Maldives re-joined Commonwealth
Posted on : 05 Feb 2020Views: 352
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has congratulated Maldives on rejoining the Commonwealth as its 54th member.
- The Maldives had joined the Commonwealth in 1982 but withdrew its membership in 2016.
- Maldives had quit the Commonwealth in October 2016 after being threatened with suspension over its human rights record and lack of progress on democratic reform.
- India as a partner of Maldives has strongly advocated for fast-tracking the re-admission of the island nation back into the Commonwealth.
- With the membership, the Maldives’ diplomatic missions in fellow Commonwealth countries will change from Embassies into High Commissions, which will be symbolized through flag raising ceremonies.
- The Commonwealth is a key grouping of countries, most of which are former territories of the British Empire.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has also expressed happiness on Uzbekistan joining as Partner Country in the Surajkund Mela.
Article Related Questions
Which country re-joined Commonwealth recently?
Right Ans : Maldives