UPSC Subject List
The IAS subjects as per the ics syllabus includes mostly all the subjects that we covered in school in the name of general studies. One has to study those and more. The IAS exam syllabus given by UPSC may appear simple on face value but requires a lot of study and understanding of each compulsary and optional subject and its portions. The UPSC subjects in civil services are designed to judge you on your understanding of things around you as only an informed person can take informed decisions as a civil servant. IAS officers are policy makers and most of the services within the Civil Services include dealing with people and policies. It is with great deligence that ias subjects are chosen.
How many Optional Subjects for IASHow many Optional Subjects for IAS exam is a recurring question asked by many students.
- Apart from the compulsory subjects in the IAS exam,
- there is only one optional subject that you can choose for the UPSC exam.
- There are two papers in the optional paper which are conducted on the same day of the exam as a morning and an afternoon paper.
- There a huge gamut of upsc optional subjects on offer and you can choose any one of them as per ease of availability of study material, coaching and your interest in the optional subject.
- The complete upsc optional subject list has been given below. Choose your optional subject for upsc exam.
Popular UPSC optional subject listSome of the Popular UPSC subjects are
- Public Administration
- Agriculture and
- Political Science.
The UPSC Syllabus is divided into three sections:
- UPSC Prelims Syllabus for IAS Exam
- UPSC Mains Syllabus for IAS Exam
- UPSC Personality Test (Interview)
Preliminary UPSC Syllabus
It is designed to evaluate a persons' understanding of current affairs and tests their ability in short duration of time. The preliminary paper is a compulsory and qualifying paper. Aspirant must clear the prelims exam to qualify to the next stage of the exam called Mains Exam. The prelims exam has two papers
- General Studies Paper I and
- General Studies (CSAT) Paper II (qualifying in nature) carrying a maximum of 400 marks.
UPSC Subjects List for Prelims
The syllabus for the Preliminary Exams for Paper-I consists of
General Studies - Current events of national and international importance
|History of India
|Indian National Movement
|Indian and World Geography
|Economic Geography of India and the World
|Political Science / Civics
|Indian Polity and Governance
|Rights Issues, etc.,
|Economic and Social Development
|General issues on Environmental Ecology
|Social Sector initiatives, etc.,
All the above are compulsary subjects in the prelims exam paper 1. We propose that all NCERT books related to these subjects must be read well.Paper II is dynamic in nature and includes
- analytical ability, and
- interpersonal skills
Mains UPSC Syllabus
The mains syllabus for optional papers is generally of the honours degree level that is between the bachelors degree and the masters degree. It contains 9 papers, where there are two qualifying papers and seven papers counted for ranking and syllabus is framed according to the subjects with total of 1750 marks.
IAS Subjects for Mains
The syllabus for the mains is more widespread and the subjects are roughly the same as the prelims except the focus on
Subjects in UPSC Mains Exam
|Optional Subject ( Choose Any One )
Interview (Personality Test)
The UPSC Interview/personality test has no prescribed syllabus. The candidates will be interviewed by a Board of competent and unbiased members and will be questioned on matters of general interest and the candidate will be evaluated not only based on their
- intellectual qualities but also on
- social traits,
- interest in current affairs,
- mental alertness,
- critical power of adaptation,
- rational exposition,
- balance of judgment,
- variety and depth of interest,
- ability for social interconnection and leadership,
- logical and moral uprightness
Compulsory subjects for UPSC exam
- General Studies - 4 Papers of 250 marks each
- Essay - 250 marks, any language as medium
- English - Qualifying 300 marks
- Indian Languages - 300 marks, qualifying
What are the optional subjects in Mains exam?
Here is a list of subjects that can be taken as optional paper in the Civil Services (Mains) examination. The list is as per the UPSC prescribed subjects. Once you click on the listed links you will find all resources regarding that IAS exam paper and the syllabus. Knowing the IAS Syllabus thoroughly is one of the most important sections of making through the IAS exam conducted by UPSC.
UPSC Optional Subject list for Social Sciences
UPSC Optional Subject List in Science
IAS exam Optional Subjects List of Engineering
Optional subjects for IAS exam for Commerce and Management
UPSC Optional IAS subjects for Indian Languages
Useful Tips For Civil Services Exams
- IAS Exam Strategy
- Prelims Exam Syllabus
- How To Prepare For Prelims
- Mains Examination Syllabus
- How to Choose Mains Subjects
- Guidance for Mains exam
- General Studies
- Essays for Mains
- English (Qualifying nature) for Mains
- Indian Languages for Mains
- Preparing for Mains
- How to Read
- How to Prepare Notes
- UPSC Question Papers
- UPSC Interview Questions