Aditya mission of ISRO
Posted on : 03 Feb 2020Views: 222
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently highlighted in Mann Ki Baat program that ISRO is planning to launch its first Sun Mission Aditya L1. It is an ambitious plan of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Aditya - L1 is the first Indian mission to study the outermost region of the sun, called corona.
- Aditya-1 to Aditya L-1 Mission: The concept of the Aditya-1 mission was to carry 400 kg of the payload called Visible Emission Line Coronagraph (VELC). Earlier, this mission was planned to launch in an 800 km low earth orbit. But, it was found that a satellite placed in a halo orbit around the Lagrangian Point 1 (L1) can give a big advantage of viewing Sun. Thus, this mission was renamed Aditya L-1 Mission.
- The temperature of the solar corona goes beyond million degrees. From the ground, the corona could be seen only during total solar eclipses mainly due to the bright solar disc and the scattering of the sunlight by the earth’s atmosphere. To mask the bright solar disc and study the corona, one has to go beyond the atmosphere.
- The major scientific objectives of Aditya-1 mission are to achieve a fundamental understanding of the physical processes that heat the solar corona; accelerate the solar wind; and produce coronal mass ejections (CMEs).
- There will be six scientific payloads on this 400 kg satellite.
- It will be placed in the halo orbit near the L1 point of the Sun-Earth system.
- The Aditya-L1 can now provide observations of the Sun's photosphere (soft and solid X-rays), chromosphere (UV) and the corona (visual and NIR) along with additional experiments.
- The 20 cm coronagraph, having a field of view of corona from 1.05 R to 3.0 R, will use an off axis parabolic mirror. The payload will have three CCD detectors system with a capability of simultaneous imaging in 6374 Å, 5303 Å and in 5800 Å for continuum/broadband.
Article Related Questions
Aditya mission of ISRO is about
1.To study the outermost region of the sun, called corona.
2.To study moon
3.To study the Indian Ocean
4.To study the monsoon patterns
Right Ans : To study the outermost region of the sun, called corona.