Posted on : 13 Feb 2020Views: 137
- The US government had recently said that it is planning to curb the distribution of H-1B visa to Indians. The objective is to better protect US workers and wages, and save them from competition from workers arriving from outside countries like India and China.
- H-1B visa:
- The H-1B is a United States visa under the Immigration and Nationality Act. It is one of the most popular visas for foreigners visiting the US for business or trade purpose.
- It is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise.
- Specialty occupations include specialized fields like IT, finance, accounting, architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, medicine, etc. which usually require a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- US employers wishing to bring in staff for long-term assignment prefer H1B visa because its application is quicker than applying for a US Green Card.
- H-1B visa has its roots in the H1 visa of the Immigration and Nationality Act; which split between H-1A (for nurses) and H-1B in 1990.
- Who will be worst hit: Worst hit by the new H1B bill will be Indian tech companies such as Infosys, TCS, and Wipro, as well as US tech giants like Apple, Facebook and Google, who use the H1B visa to fill positions that cannot be filled by American workers.
- India has been the only country that takes 70 per cent of the 85,000 H-1B visas applied annually.
Article Related Questions
Indians have lately been facing issues related to H-1B visas. Which of the following statements are correct about H-1B visas?
1.H-1B is a United States visa of which India is currently the majority holder.
2.H-1B is an immigrant visa.
3.H-1B allows US companies to employ Indian workers in “specialty occupations”.
Choose the correct answer:
2.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 only