MANAV Human Atlas
Posted on : 27 Dec 2019Views: 154
- The project aims to create an open and interactive atlas of human biology, compiling, curating and synthesizing data at the molecular, cellular, tissue and organismic level from scientific literature and public databases.
- For the first time, Indian scientists will be mapping every single tissue of the human body to have a deeper understanding of the roles of tissues and cells linked to various diseases.
- With the twin objective of creating a curated research database on human biology and introducing young Indian brains to the world of biological sciences, the project will be funded by Department of Biotechnology.
- This one-of-a-kind mega-project aims to create a unified human atlas by mapping the molecular details of every cell, tissue and organ in the human body by curating all the available information present in scientific literature and public databases.
- It will be executed by two of India’s major research Institutes, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune, and National Center for Cell Sciences (NCCS), Pune.
- It has been proposed that via a citizen-science approach, around 3 – 5 lakh students enrolled in various biological courses in India can be made a part of achieving this goal.
- While undergraduate and post-graduate students can be trained to extract and collate information at the organ, tissue, cellular and molecular level from published literature for making the human atlas, young researchers and senior scientists can keep a check on the quality of collated data.
- The project aims to capture the human physiology in two stages – in a normal stage and in a disease stage.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding MANAV Human Atlas
1.It aims at creating a database network of all tissues in the human body from the available scientific literature.
2.It is funded by the Department of Science and Technology.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 1 only