Panna Tiger Reserve (PTR)
Posted on : 31 Dec 2019Views: 94
- Panna is the twenty second Tiger Reserve of India and fifth in Madhya Pradesh. Panna National Park was created in 1981 and was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1994.
- It is a prime tiger-land Located in Vindhyan Hills in northern Madhya Pradesh.
- It is characterized by extensive plateaus and gorges and is a land of mesmerizing waterfalls.
- The Ken River, which flows through the Reserve from south to north, is home for Gharial and Mugger, and other aquatic fauna and is one of the least polluted rivers and a tributary of Yamuna. It is one of the sixteen perennial rivers of Madhya Pradesh and is truly the life line of the Reserve.
- The location of the National Park is also important because it is situated at a point where the continuity of the forest belt, which starts from Cape Comorin in the south, is broken and beyond this the great Gangetic plains begin. It represents the northern-most boundary of natural distribution to teak (Tectona grandis) and the eastern limit of teak-kardhai (Anogeissus pendula) mixed forests.
- The PTRs Tiger Reintroduction Project started in 2009 with 7 tigers - five females and two males - brought from Kanha and Bandhavgarh national parks. They were released here and now the net result is that 52 tigers, including cubs, roar in this reserve. Involving locals in reviving tiger population has paid off and according to the results of the latest tiger census; Madhya Pradesh has topped the country with 526 tigers.
Article Related Questions
Which of the following statements regarding Panna Tiger Reserve is/are correct?
1.It is located in the Vindhyan hills in northern Madhya Pradesh.
2.It represents the northern-most boundary of natural distribution of teak in India.
3.River Narmada, a tributary of Yamuna flows through the reserve.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
2.1 and 2 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only