Posted on : 01 Jan 2020Views: 111
- Scientists from Technion — Israel Institute of Technology have developed a concept and have named the Ramanujan Machine, after the Indian mathematician.
- It is not really a machine but an algorithm, and performs a very unconventional function.
- With most computer programs, humans input a problem and expect the algorithm to work out a solution.
- With the Ramanujan Machine, it works the other way round. Feed in a constant, for example well-known pi, and the algorithm will come up with a equation involving an infinite series whose value, it will propose, is exactly pi.
- Why named after Ramanujan
- The algorithm reflects the way SrinivasaRamanujan worked during his brief life (1887-1920). With very little formal training, he engaged with the most celebrated mathematicians of the time, particularly during his stay in England (1914-19), where he eventually became a Fellow of the Royal Society and earned a research degree from Cambridge.
- Throughout his life, Ramanujan came up with novel equations and identities —including equations leading to the value of pi — and it was usually left to formally trained mathematicians to prove these.
- In 1987, two Canadian brothers proved all 17 of Ramanujan’s series for 1/pi; two years earlier, an American mathematician and programmer had used one of these formulas to calculate pi up to over 17 million digits, which was a world record at the time (DekaBaruah, Berndt & Chan).
Article Related Questions
Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding Ramanujan Machine?
1.It is an algorithm that performs an unconventional function.
2.It has developed by scientists from Israel Institution of technology this concept.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2