Posted on : 21 Jan 2020Views: 240
- A new Trojan application is boosting popular shopping app ratings and installations and spreading ads that annoy users and over 14% Indians have been affected by this malware dubbed as ‘Shopper’.
- The highest share of users infected by ‘Trojan-Dropper. AndroidOS.Shopper.a’ from October to November 2019 was in Russia, with a staggering 28.46% of all users affected by the shopaholic app located in the country. Almost a fifth (18.70%) of infections were in Brazil and 14.23% in India.
- Other than boosting the app’s ratings, the malware is also capable of executing other functionalities. Upon reaching a device, the trojan masks itself as a system app named ‘ConfigAPKs’ to trick the user.
- Once downloaded, the app launches itself as soon as the screen is unlocked. It can further use the device owner’s Google or Facebook account as logged in the device to register on shopping and entertainment websites such as AliExpress, Lazada, Zalora, Shein, Joom, Likee and Alibaba, says the IANS report.
- It can also create and replace shortcuts to advertised sites on the app menu. Users will be led to the shortcut created by the malware instead of the originally advertised sites.
- Whereas, in the background, the trojan continues its malicious activities. This includes exploiting the Android Accessibility Service for providing limitless possibilities for abusing the target devices.
- The malware can kill Google Play Protect, install apps, show ads, post fake reviews to the apps, and can register the target users to various apps via their Google or Facebook accounts.
- According to the IANS report, once the Trojan acquirs the required permissions within the system, it has unlimited opportunities to freely interact with the system interface and applications.
- According to a report by the Data Security Council of India (DSCI), India ranks second in the list of countries affected the most by cyberattacks between 2016 and 2018.
Article Related Questions
Shopper malware which was seen recently in news, consider the following statements regarding it
1.The malware can kill Google Play Protect, install apps, show ads, post fake reviews to the apps.
2.India ranks first in the list of countries affected the most by cyber attacks between 2016 and 2018.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 1 only