The Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Fifth Amendment) Bill, 2019
Posted on : 06 Jan 2020Views: 263
- The Bill amends provisions related to the Finance Commission, A-280 and the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution to increase the financial and executive powers of the 10 autonomous councils in the Sixth Schedule areas of northeast.
- The Bill provides for Village (for villages or groups of villages in rural areas) and Municipal Councils (in urban areas of each district) in addition to the District and Regional Councils in Assam, Tripura and Mizoram.
- The District Councils may make laws on various issues like (i) number of Village and Municipal Councils to be formed, and their composition, (ii) delimitation of constituencies for election to the Village and Municipal Councils, (iii) powers and functions of Village and Municipal Councils.
- The Governor may make rules for devolution of powers and responsibilities to the Village and Municipal Councils.
- Atleast one-third of the seats would be reserved for women in these village and municipal councils in Sixth Schedule areas of Assam, Mizoram and Tripura.
- Meghalaya for the time being is kept out of these provisions.
- The Bill provides the appointment of a Finance Commission for these states, to review the financial position of District, Village, and Municipal Councils. Till now, the autonomous councils have been dependent on grants from Central Ministries and State Governments for specific projects.
- The Bill states that all elections to the District Councils, Regional Councils, Village Councils, and Municipal Councils will be conducted by the State Election Commission appointed by the Governor, for these four states.
- As per the Bill, the Governor can now make rules regarding the qualifications for being elected as members to these councils and disqualifications of such members on grounds of defection.
- It also provides for transfer of additional “30 subjects, including public works department (PWD), forests, public health engineering, health and family welfare, urban development and food and civil supply" to Karbi Anglong Autonomous Territorial Council (KAATC) and Dima Hasao Autonomous Territorial Council (DHATC) in Assam.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding 125th Constitution Amendment Bill
1.It provides for constitution of village and municipal councils in all the states under Sixth schedule of Indian Constitution.
2.It provides for the appointment of a Finance Commission for the states under 6th schedule.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 2 only