Posted on : 03 Dec 2019Views: 303
- The wasteland mapping exercise is carried out by National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), Department of Space using the Indian Remote Sensing Satellite (IRSS) data.
- The atlas is then jointly published by The Department of Land Resources (Ministry of Rural Development) and National Remote Sensing Centre.
- The Wastelands Atlas – 2019 is the fifth edition of all atlases. The previous editions released were in 2000, 2005, 2010 and 2011.
- India with 2.4% of total land area of the World is supporting 18% of the World’s population. The per capita availability of agriculture land in India is 0.12 ha whereas World per capita agriculture land is 0.29 ha.
- Unprecedented pressure on the land beyond its carrying capacity is resulting into degradation of lands in the Country.
- Therefore, robust geospatial information on wastelands assumes significance and effectively helpful in rolling back the wastelands for productive use through various land development programmes.
Article Related Questions
Which one among the following states has gone largest positive change in wasteland area in the recently released Wasteland Atlas-2019?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
Right Ans : Rajasthan