Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
Posted on : 26 Dec 2019Views: 511
- SCO is a Eurasian political, economic and security organization.
- India and Pakistan became full members of the SCO in 2017.
- Founded in 2001, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan are the founding members of the organization.
- The countries of SCO adopted the Bishkek Declaration in the 19th SCO summit, held at Kyrgyzstan’s capital Bishkek.
Highlights of the SCO Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented a template to further SCO cooperation known as “HEALTH” which means Health Care Cooperation, Economic Cooperation, Alternative Energy, Literature and Culture, Terrorism Free Society and Humanitarian Cooperation respectively.
- The member states condemn terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
- They call on the international community to promote global cooperation in combating terrorism with the central role of the UN by fully implementing corresponding UN Security Council resolutions and the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy in compliance with the UN Charter and the principles of international law.
- Members supported WTO and the multilateral trading system.
- The declaration called for ‘consistent implementation’ of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran.
- Members signed ‘Roadmap for Further Action of the SCO Afghanistan Contact Group’ which argued in favour of ‘inclusive peace process conducted and led by Afghans themselves’. They support the efforts of the government and people of Afghanistan aimed at restoring peace, economic development of the country, countering terrorism, extremism, and drug crime.
- The SCO member states also urged the global community to work towards a consensus on adopting the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism (CCIT)
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
1.SCO is a Eurasian political, economic and security organization founded in 2001.
2.Recently, the 19th SCO Summit was held in Qingdao, China.
3.Bishkek Declaration of SCO calls on the international community to promote global cooperation in combating terrorism with the central role played by the UN.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
1.1 and 3 only
2.1 and 2 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only