Are we corrupt as a nation? How can the common man stay away from activities that encourage Corruption?..
“We need to tell each other our stories. We need to show that everyone-neighbors, our families, our community leaders-everyone we know is touched by corruption.”
Corruption, “what is corruption?”A question arises within us, when the miss use of public power by politicians or appointed civil servant for their own benefit or gain is called corruption. Some time or may be always it happens by force of the senior to the junior colleagues or by the politicians force to the bureaucrat, but it is not only summed up to the politician and bureaucrat but also CEO and CFO of a company, the notary public, the team leader at a work place, the administrator or admissions – officer to a private school or hospital, coach of soccer team etc. Was their historical background of corruption?
In modern history after the British rule ended in India, the next five coming decades was painfully slow economic growth and increase in population, low per capita income and slow GDP all combined to create newer hyperinflation and low salary of government employs and an antiquated legal system with lack of transparent laws and processes only further exacerbated and already tainted and corrupt system. A question arises here “Is India corrupt as a nation?”
India ranks 78 of 180 countries in Corruption Perception Index (2012-2018).
In my point of view, some way under the line India is corrupt nation as seen by many different cases of corruption has came out to the court like :
1. Abhishek Verma arms deals scandal: he is believed to be the main arms dealer and the prime suspect in the scorpene submarines deal case, Agusta Westland VVIP helicopters bribery scandal and Navy War Room leak case.
2. The ‘COALGATE’ scam: while the loss to exchequer was pegged at Rs10. 7lakh crore, the final report stated that scam amounted to Rs 1.86lakh crore.
3. 2G- SPECTRUM SCAM: The Comptroller and Auditor General of India stated that “The difference between the money collected and that mandated to be collected was Rs 1.76trillion.”
In todays day to day life if a person wants a government job he has to pay lakhs of rupees to higher official irrespective of satisfying all the eligibility criteria and the most important political corruption which is worst in India which is weakening the political body and damaging the supreme importance of the law governing the society. This corruption how does it impact us and our nation?
At today’s time people have developed an opinion that it is only way to get their work done is to corrupt the individual. If not the work done is will be pending for long or even might not be done. There are many ways by which corruption effects on peoples like:
1. Lack of quality in service: In a system with corruption, there is no quality of service. To demand quality one might need to pay for it.
2. Lack of proper justice: Corruption in the judiciary system, leads to improper justice etc.
There are many effects of corruption but there are solutions also to stop or reduce corruption. Corruption can’t be stopped till the mentality of an individual tries to do so, but it can be reduced but HOW?
The first and foremost things to reduce corruption are:
1. Give a better salary in government jobs.
2. Law to dismiss from service if found to be involved in corruption with evidence in the court.
3. An organization to keep a watch on any corruption activities.
4. Setup a fastrack courts for the cases and a special cell for investigation of corruption cases.
Many of the procedure are working in our country by the government to reduce corruption because of which it has reduced in many areas.
At last the mindset of a person matters to avoid taking or giving bribery and awareness is also important to make people know about this and how to stop this.-ARPIT SAMANT
- Once again the age limit is scheduled to be reduced? Is it hampering students to plan well?
- Will scheduled reduction in new age limit for civil service exam, impact student's preparation?