Civil Services Essay
The Essay paper is very important in the overall position. Essay paper segregated in 2 sections. One has to write two essays choosing one from each of the sections A and B. The word limit must be in about 1,000-2,000 words each. An ideal essay should be about 1200 words. Section I is comparatively easier in nature because the topics are of general nature. Section II is of specific nature. Each essay will be marked on 125. The test is to write a coherent essay with gradual buildup of the subject and the logical argument being put forward.
Suggested books for Essay
- Model Essays
- Selected Contemporary Essays – Saumitra Mohan
- Essays for Civil Services – Pulkit Khare
Useful links for essay preparation
Note: The www.civilserviceindia.com conducts essay contests every month. This is based on current affairs topics. Please participate in this contest and practice essay writing. Yu can also read what others write that may help you to prepare for this paper. Many essays topics could figure in the mains exam so be assured your effort is in right direction.
You can practice writing essays on the following topics
Essay Paper I
- My vision of an ideal world order.
- Irrelevance of the classroom.
- The pursuit of excellence.
- Modern Technological Education and human values.
- Search for Truth can only be a spiritual problem.
- If youth knew, if age could.
- The paths of glory lead but to the grave.
- As civilization advances culture declines.
- There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so
- Spirituality and Scientific temper.
- The hand that rocks the cradle.
- If women ruled the world.
- What is real education?
- Increasing Computerization Would lead to the Creation of Dehumanized Society.
- Independent thinking should be encouraged right from the childhood.
- Discipline means success, anarchy means ruin
- Geography may remain the same; history need not.
- The march of science and the erosion of human values.
- Empowerment along cannot help our women.
- Attitude makes habit, habit makes character and character makes a man.
- "Good fences make good neighbours."
- Justice must reach the poor.
Essay Paper II
- Is an egalitarian society possible by educating the masses?
- Privatization of Higher Education in India.
- "Education For All" Campaign in India: Myth or Reality.
- Credit-based education system-status, opportunities and challenges
- What have we gained from our democratic set-up?
- Responsibility of media in a democracy
- Judicial Activism and Indian Democracy.
- How far has democracy in India delivered the goods?
- The Masks of New Imperialism.
- India's Role in Promoting ASEAN Cooperation.
- National identity and patriotism
- 'Globalism' vs. 'Nationalism.
- Globalization and Its Impact on Indian Culture.
- Globalization Would Finish Small-Scale Industries in India.
- Are our traditional handicrafts doomed to a slow death ?
- Importance of Indo-U.S. Nuclear Agreement.
- Are we a 'soft' state?
- Preparedness of our society for India's global leadership role.
- Whither Women's Emancipation?
- Women's Reservation Bill Would Usher in Empowerment for Women in India.
- Terrorism and world peace.
- In the Indian context, both human intelligence and technical intelligence are crucial in combating terrorism.
- Food security for sustainable national development.
- How has satellite television brought about cultural change in the Indian mindset ?
- Role of the Media in good governance
- Does Indian cinema shape our popular culture or merely reflect it?
- Certain of smaller states and the consequent administrative, economic and developmental implications.
- Is autonomy the best answer to combat balkanization?
- Water Resources Should Be Under the Control of the Central Government.
- Urbanization and its hazards
- "The focus of health care is increasingly getting skewed towards the 'haves' of our society.
- How should a civil servant conduct himself?
- The Lure of Space.
- Protection of Ecology and Environment is Essential for Sustained Economic Development.
- Evaluation of Panchayati Raj Systems in India from the point of view of eradication of poverty to power to people.
- BPO boom in India.
- Special Economic Zones : Boon or Bane
- Should a moratorium be imposed on all fresh mining in tribal areas of the country
- From traditional Indian philanthropy to the Gates-Buffett model - a natural progression or a paradigm shift.