Marathi - Main Syllabus for UPSC Examination
Marathi subject is the one of the optional papers in UPSC IAS Mains Exam. In UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam, Marathi is one of the Optional Subjects and consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. It comprises of two papers each of 250 marks. So, the optional paper has total 500 marks. Find below the UPSC Syllabus for Marathi Optional Subject. All answers must be written in Marathi. There is only one optional subject to choose from the list of optional subjects which are offered below.
UPSC Marathi Syllabus PDF [Download]
UPSC Mains Marathi Syllabus PAPER – I
Language and Folk-Iore
- Nature and Functions of Language (with reference to Marathi) Language as a signifying system : Langue and Parole; Basic functions; Poetic language; Standard Language and dialect; Language variations according to social parameters. Linguistic features of Marathi in the thirteenth century and seventeenth century.
- Dialects of Marathi Ahirani; Varhadi; Dangi
- Marathi Grammar Parts of Speech; Case-system; Prayogvichar (Voice)
- Nature and kinds of Folk-lore (with special reference to Marathi) Lok-Geet, Lok Katha, Lok Natya
History of Literature and Literary Criticism
- History of Marathi Literature
- From beginning to 1818 AD, with special reference to the Mahanubhava writers, the Varkari poets, the Pandit poets, the Shahirs, Bakhar literature.
- From 1850 to 1990, with special reference to developments in the following major forms : Poetry, Fiction (Novel and Short Story), Drama; and major literary currents and movements, Romantic, Realist, Modernist, Dalit Gramin, Feminist.
- Literary Criticism
- Nature and function of Literature
- Evaluation of Literature
- Nature, Objectives and Methods of Criticism
- Literature, Culture and Society
UPSC Mains Marathi Syllabus PAPER – II
Textual study of prescribed literary works. The paper will require first-hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Mahatma Jotiba Phule "Shetkaryacha Asud; 'Sarvajanik Satyadharma'
- S.V. Ketkar 'Brahmankanya;
- P.K. Atre 'Sashtang Namaskar'
- Sharchchandra Muktibodh 'Jana Hey Volatu Jethe'
- Uddhav Shelke 'Shilan'
- Baburao Bagul 'Jevha Mi Jaat Chorli Hoti'
- Gouri Deshpande 'Ekek Paan Galavaya'
- P.I. Sonkamble 'Athavaninche Pakshi'
- Namadevanchi Abhangawani'
Ed: Inamdar, Relekar, Mirajkar
Modern Book Depot, Pune
- 'Painjan' Ed : M.N. Adwant Sahitya Prasar Kendra, Nagpur
- 'Damayanti-Swayamvar' By Raghunath Pandit
- 'Balakvinchi Kavita' By Balkavi
- 'Vishakha' By Kusumagraj
- 'Mridgandh' By Vinda Karandikar
- 'Jahirnama' By Narayan Surve
- 'Sandhyakalchya Kavita' By Grace
- 'Ya Sattet Jeev Ramat Nahi' By Namdev Dhasal