Cloud seeding technology
Posted on : 03 Dec 2019Views: 381
- Cloud seeding is a kind of a weather modification technology to create artificial rainfall. It was pioneered by atmospheric scientist Bernard Vonnegut.
- It works only when there are enough pre-existing clouds in the atmosphere.
- Rain happens when moisture in the air reaches levels at which it can no longer be held, and cloud seeding aims to facilitate and accelerate that process by making available chemical ‘nuclei’ around which condensation can take place.
- These ‘seeds’ of rain can be the iodides of silver or potassium, dry ice (solid carbon dioxide), or liquid propane. The seeds can be delivered by plane or simply by spraying from the ground.
- It is also known by other terms such as man-made precipitation enhancement, artificial weather modification, and rainmaking.
- Cloud seeding is not new to India and it has earlier been attempted in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra to address drought.
- Similar experiments of cloud seeding had earlier been tried in Australia, America, Spain and France.
- In United Arab Emirates, the cloud seeding technique led to creation of 52 storms in Abu Dhabi.
Article Related Questions
Cloud seeding technology can help combat the air pollution engulfing Delhi and NCR,consider the following statements regarding this technology
1.It is a kind of a weather modification technology to create artificial rainfall.
2.It is also known by other terms such as man-made precipitation enhancement.
3.Sulphur Dioxide is used to generate artificial rainfall.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only