Global Migration Report, 2020
Posted on : 29 Jan 2020Views: 1049
- The Global Migration Report 2020 was recently released by the UN-affiliated International Organization for Migration (IOM).
- Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration ensuring the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
- Key highlights of the report are:
- Of the 272 million international migrants worldwide i.e. 3.5% of the global population, India accounts for the highest share (with 17.5 million of them being Indians). India is followed by Mexico (11.8 million) and China (10.7 million).
- Roughly two-thirds of international migrants are labour migrants i.e. nearly 2/3rd of the migrants migrate in search of work.
- India is the leading recipient of remittances. International remittances in 2018 (as per the 2020 report) reached $689 billion, out of which India received $78.6 million from the 17.5 million living abroad. India is currently followed by China ($67.4 billion) and Mexico ($35.7 billion).
- Remittances received by India have consistently increased between the 2005 and 2020 reports.
- The top destination for international migrants is the USA followed by Germany, Saudi Arabia, Russian Federation and the UK.
- The top migration corridors for Indians are the United Arab Emirates, the US and Saudi Arabia.
- The highest numbers of migrants entering India come from Bangladesh.
- Oceania is the region with the highest proportion of international migrants and the UAE is the country with the highest proportion of international migrants. More than half of all international migrants (141 million) live in Europe and North America.
Article Related Questions
With reference to the recently published Global Migration Report, consider the following statements
1.The report is published by International Organization for Migration (IOM) – a specialized agency of UN.
2.As per the report, India is the largest country of origin of international migrants.
3.China is the leading recipient of remittances followed by India.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
3.1 and 3 only
4.2 and 3 only
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only