Global Tiger Forum (GTF)
Posted on : 14 Dec 2019Views: 3136
- The Global Tiger Forum (GTF) is an inter-governmental and international body established with members from willing countries to embark on a worldwide campaign, common approach, promotion of appropriate programmes and controls to save the remaining five sub-species of tigers in the wild distributed over 14 tiger range countries of the world.
- Formed in 1994 with its secretariat at New Delhi, GTF is the only inter-governmental & international body campaigning to save the TIGER worldwide.
- The General Assembly of GTF shall meet once in three years.
- To promote a worldwide campaign to save the tiger, its prey and its habitat;
- To promote a legal framework in the countries involved for bio-diversity conservation;
- To increase the protected area network of habitats of the tiger and facilitate their interpassages in the range countries;
- To promote eco-development programmes with the participation of the communities living in and around protected areas;
- To urge countries to enter into relevant conventions for conservation of tiger and elimination of illegal trade;
- To promote and carry out scientific research to generate information useful for tiger, it’s prey and its habitat to disseminate such information in an easily accessible manner;
- To promote the development and exchange among themselves , of appropriate technologies and training programmes for scientific wildlife management;
- To encourage range countries to prepare and implement their individual action plans for protection and growth of the tiger population and its prey base. Improvement of the habitat and common preservation programme can be taken up bilaterally by the range countries having adjoining habitats, but their implementation should be carried out separately by the respective range countries.
- To involve inter-governmental organisations in the protection of the tiger;
- To set up a participative fund of an appropriate size to engender awareness in all places where people consume tiger derivatives for eliminating such consumption of tiger products, and identifying substitutes, in the interests of conservation.
Article Related Questions
With reference to the Global Tiger Forum (GTF) consider the following statements
1.The Global Tiger Forum (GTF) is an inter-governmental and international body
2.GTF is the only inter-governmental & international body campaigning to save the TIGER worldwide.
Choose the correct option from the following
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2