IUCN and Red Data Book
Posted on : 14 Dec 2019Views: 141
- IUCN was founded in October 1948 as the International Union for the Protection of Nature (or IUPN) following an international conference in Fontainebleau, France.
- The organization changed its name to the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources in 1956 with the acronym IUCN (or UICN) with its headquarters in Gland, Switzerland.
- To influence, encourage and assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity and diversity of nature and to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable.
- IUCN supports scientific research, manages field projects globally and brings governments, non-government organizations, United Nations agencies, companies and local communities together to develop and implement policy.
- IUCN Members include both States and non-governmental organizations.
- Priority Areas of IUCN:
- Climate change
- Sustainable energy
- Human well-being
- Green economy
Article Related Questions
The “Red Data Books’ published by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) contain lists of
1.Endemic plant and animal species present in the biodiversity hotspots.
2.Threatened plant and animal species.
3.Protected sites for conservation of nature & natural resources in various countries
Which of the statement given above is / are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
Right Ans : 2 only