Main Features of India's Nuclear Doctrine
Posted on : 19 Dec 2019Views: 5169
- Building and maintaining a credible minimum deterrent.
- A "No First Use" posture; nuclear weapons to be used only "in retaliation against a nuclear attack on Indian territory or on Indian forces anywhere".
- Nuclear retaliation to a first strike will be "massive" and designed to inflict "unacceptable damage".
- Nuclear retaliatory attacks to be authorized only by civilian political leadership through the Nuclear Command Authority.
- Non use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapon states.
- Continuance of strict controls on export of nuclear and missile related materials and technologies, participation in FMCT negotiations, continued moratorium on testing.
- India to retain option of retaliating with nuclear weapons in the event of a major attack against it with biological or chemical weapons.
- Continued commitment to goal of nuclear weapon free world, through global, verifiable and non-discriminatory disarmament.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following aspects of “India's Nuclear Doctrine”.
1.Building and maintaining a credible minimum deterrent.
2.Non-use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapon states.
3.Nuclear retaliatory attacks to be authorized only by civilian political leadership through the Nuclear Command Authority.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
1.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3 only
Right Ans : 1, 2 and 3 only