Wifi Access Network Interface (WANI)
Posted on : 03 Dec 2019Views: 204
- A single interoperable platform that will enable the delivery of data and WiFi services to all Indians is the heart of India’s new Digital Communications Policy (2018–2022).
- TRAI is inviting participation from companies/entities in the country to help set up a nation-wide interoperable WiFi network in form of Public Data Offices (PDOs) across the country.
- The new pilot project named Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (WANI) will run on a partnership model.
- Small entrepreneurs and shop owners can set up WiFi hotspots (or PDOs) by acquiring bandwidth from multiple Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and re-selling bandwidth as data to end customers at a cheaper rate.
- The pilot project of WANI will accept any company, proprietorship, societies, NGOs, etc. to help set up paid public WiFi access points across the country using a shared model.
- These companies will be able to purchase bandwidth from Public Data Office Aggregators (PDOAs)—a bandwidth aggregator which aggregates spectrum from multiple ISPs and provide them to PDO owners at cheaper rates.
- In this manner, the cost of setting up WiFi infrastructure will be shared without PDOs requiring to register for a telecom license.
- Wifire, PayTM, Linq and C-DOT have created WANI enabled mobile apps for consumers.
- WANI Mission: Existing ISPs and telcos do not have any form of incentive push to deliver WiFi services in rural locations. Hence in addition to existing service providers, small providers can also enter the public Wi-Fi ecosystem and have the capability and incentives to provide public Wi-Fi on a small scale.
- Under the framework, an entity setting up a Wi-Fi hot spot need not be responsible for its marketing, customer acquisition, payments and settlements. Unbundling creates efficiencies and customer convenience. There can be multiple payment mechanisms, multiple authentication mechanisms, but the idea is there should be a single-click on-boarding on the Wi-Fi hot spot.
- There is no credential exchange.
Article Related Questions
TRAI, recently proposed setting up a Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (WANI) architecture, consider the following statements regarding it
1.The new pilot project (WANI) will be operated by private players only.
2.There would be no credential exchange in this system.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 2 only