Current Affairs 2017
General Studies has now become the core area for testing the abilities of the Civil Services aspirants. There are two parts of General Studies, one is the topics related to the different subjects, and the other is Current Affairs. While subject related topics are static, the Current Affairs is the dynamic aspect of the General Studies.
So the study and analysis of current affairs has to be given more emphasis because significant portion of it is dedicated to it both in the civil services mains and the prelims exam.
Even at the interview stage awareness about current affairs is very important as it decides the rank of the candidates.
In such a scenario the preparation of current affairs topics related to India and the world is an important part of your preparations. The students have to be aware of the happening in India and around the world as this portion is an integral part of the general studies paper.
In order to make you ready for the challenges of the Current Affairs preparation, we are covering the current affairs topics on a regular basis.
Our current topics are categorised in such a way that it includes; political affairs, current news, science news, general knowledge, government's scheme and policies and international affairs.
We provide you comprehensive topics of preparation that covers not only India's current scenario but also international events. We also cover Indian news headlines and other important international events under the current affairs segment.
For the very purpose of getting you ready for the challenge that is current news and views in India, we are covering the current affairs 2015 on a regular basis. Our hot topics are categorised such that they include political affairs, current news, science news, general knowledge, current government affairs and international affairs. Only studying India's current scenario or political affairs is not sufficient as you have to cover international events and affairs along with the Indian newsspace, as well as important and current events in the field of science and sports.
| Current Affairs April 03 to April 09, 2017
Current affairs books and magazine
Current Affairs April 03th to April 09th 2017
International Current News
- 12 –the number of new types of clouds have been recognized for the first time by the International cloud Atlas. The atlas, which dates back to the 19th century, is the global reference book for observing and identifying clouds. Last revised in 1987, it now has a new fully-digital edition. New entries include the wave like asperitas, the roll-like volutus, and contrails, clouds formed from the vapour trail of aeroplanes. The world Meteorological Organisation(WMO) publishes the atlas and also has the final say on the contents, including the addition of “new” clouds and cloud features.
- GJ 1132b-the name of the 'super-Earth' planet which has been recently found by scientists and for the first time has its own hazy atmosphere. The discovery represents a major leap forward in the hunt for a planet like our own that could support alien life. The planet, which is 39 light years from us has a hazy atmosphere that could have a 'water world' beneath it.
- 7th April 2017–this day was recently celebrated as World Health Day.World Health Day, celebrated on 7 April every year to mark the anniversary of the founding of the World Health Organization, provides us with a unique opportunity to mobilize action around a specific health topic of concern to people all over the world.Mental health is integral to our well-being and as important as being physically healthy. The growing incidence of mental health issues is a reflection of the reality that confronts us today. That is why the theme for this year's World Health Day campaign is depression.
National Current News
- 60 days- the revised duration of stay which has been allowed under the e-visa scheme. The window for application under the e-visa scheme has also been increased from 30days to 120 days. The e-visa has now been sub-divided into three categories-e-tourist visa, e-business visa and e-medical visa- with the facility now being extended to nationals of 161 countries for entry through 24 airports and three ports of Cochin, Goa and Mangalore to tap into the potential of cruise tourism from different countries.
- 9km-the length of the India's longest highway tunnel between Chenani & Nashri which was inaugurated recently by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It will reduce distance between Jammu & Srinagar by 31km. It is equipped with the most modern safety systems namely-integrated tunnel control system, ventilation, fire fighting, radio communication etc.
- 6.25%-the repo rate which was kept unchanged by Reserve Bank of India during the latest monetary policy announced recently. The Reserve Bank of India kept its repo rate at 6.25 per cent for a third consecutive policy meeting on Thursday as it continues to guard against any potential flare-up in inflation and an uncertain global economic environment. The reverse repo rate however has been increased to 6 per cent. RBI projected inflation at 4.5 per cent for first half of 2017-18 and 5 per cent for second half. The GDP growth projected to be 7.4% for the current fiscal, up from 6.7% in 2016-17. The bank said that several indicators point to modest improvement in microeconomic outlook. It also said that risk are evenly balanced around inflation trajectory, however there is an upside risk from uncertainty about monsoon. RBI Governor Urjit Patel said the bank had to absorb a surge in liquidity in the system after demonetisation, and the focused is on removing the liquidity overhang.
- Rs. 100 crore-the revised capital requirement for asset reconstruction companies as announced recently by Reserve Bank of India. Reserve Bank of India recently hiked the capital requirement for asset reconstruction companies to Rs 100 crore from Rs 2 crore now.In a note accompanying the monetary policy statement the central bank said that the enhanced capital requirements were necessary because of the higher amount of cash required to buy bad loans from the current fiscal. The change in the capital requirements comes after new norms notified by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in September said if security receipts (SRs) make more than 50% of the value of the asset under consideration, banks have to continue to provide for these loans as if the loans continue in the books of the bank. These norms were aimed at forcing banks to sell more NPAs at cash.
- Twitter-the social networking site which launched a lighter version of its platform -- Twitter Lite -- in India, which is among its top five audience markets globally.The browser-based product, which will also be rolled out in countries like Indonesia and Philippines soon, uses 70 per cent less data and loads 30 per cent faster compared to the app.It will be available in 42 languages, including six Indian languages (Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, Gujarati and Marathi).Twitter has over 319 million users globally. It does not give out country-specific numbers.Twitter, which allows users to engage with peers, corporates and government using 140 characters, is also betting heavily on visual content like emojis and videos.Twitter has also partnered Vodafone to provide a customised timeline of top cricket related tweets via Twitter Lite to the telecom major's 200 million subscribers throughout the T20 season.
- Neerja- the film which was declared as the Best Hindi Feature Film at the 64th National Film Awards which was announced recently. Akshay Kumar bagged the Best Actor award for his act in 'Rustom' while Ajay Devgan-directed 'Shivaay' won the award for Best VFX. Sonam Kapoor also got a Special Mention for her performance in 'Neerja'. Over 300 films vied for the honours this year. The process to choose the best from Indian cinema began in mid-March. Filmmaker Priyadarshan was the chairperson of the jury in feature films category, while nationally acclaimed cinematographer and writer Raju Misra was the chairperson in non-feature category.
- Best Actor - Akshay Kumar (Rustom) , Best Actress - Surabhi Lakshmi (Minnaminungu) ,Best Film on Social Issues – Pink & Best Supporting Actress – Zaira Wasim (Dangal) are the winners of the 64th National Film Award winner in their respective category's which was announced recently.
- Rs.200- the denomination whose note will be introduced soon in India as decided by the Reserve Bank of India. The RBI board recently approved this proposal to plug the paucity of paucity of lower deominations. The mints are likely to start the printing the new notes from June 2018. The central banks want to circulate the new notes only through bank branches similar to the way Rs.50 and Rs.10 notes are circulated.
- 101- the rank of India in the latest FIFA ranking which was released recently. The Indian football team achieved its best ever FIFA rankings in over two decades as it jumped to 101 in the latest list released. This is the teams best ever ranking since May 1996- they were ranked 101 then also. India have jumped 31 places from its last rank of 132nd in the previous month. India are now ranked 11th in Asia. The highest FIFA ranking achieved by India ever is 94, which was attained in February 1996.
Current Affairs March 27th to April 02th 2017
International Current News
- Bumble bees –it became the first wild bee in the continental United States to gain federal protection when it was added to the government's list of endangered and threatened species recently. Bumble bees are key pollinators of crops such as blueberries and cranberries, and are almost the only insect pollinator in the United States, according to the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service. The population of the bee, named for the reddish blotch on its abdomen, is believed to have declined by more than 90% since the late 1990s owing to disease, pesticide, climate change and habitat loss.
- Evolocumab -the name of the new powerful drug against heart disease as per the report published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It can prevent heart attack and strokes by cutting bad cholesterol to unprecedented levels. It has been designed to target a protein in the liver with the name PCSK9.
- European Union –they celebrated 60th anniversary of their founding treaty at Rome recently. In their solemn declaration ending the summit, the 27 leaders sought to end paralysis that has gripped the bloc on several issues and enshrined the notion that some member states will be able to move ahead on some issues while others remain on sidelines.
National Current News
- 2,500 crore -the number of digital transactions which the India should target to achieve during this year. This target was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his latest version of Mann Ki Baat on 26th March 2017. He called upon all to take up the fight against black money and corruption to the next level and try to achieve the target of digital transactions in just six months.
- 0.3% -the target percentage of blind people compared to total population which India has to achieve as per the targets set up 'Under Vision 2020'. Under this India is set to change the40-year old definition of blindness. A person unable to count fingers from a distance of six metres is categorised as 'blind' in India, against the WHO's stipulation of three metres. This change in definition will bring down the number of blind persons by 4 million in India.
- BS-IV -the norm for vehicles which will come into force from 1st April, 2016. The Supreme Court on recently banned the sale of BS-III vehicles, saying that the health of citizens is more important than the commercial interests of auto manufacturers. The apex court directed that no BS-III vehicle shall be registered from April 1 and turned down the plea of automobile manufactures to allow them to dispose of 8.2 lakh such vehicles.
- Aadhaar Bridge Payment System(ABPS) – this along with Aadhaar Enabled Payment(AEPS) & Aadhaar Pay are the major types of prevalent Aadhaar Enabled Payment Systems. ABPS is meant for direct benefit transfer and subsidy from the government to the beneficiaries. AEPS is used at the level of business correspondents or 'bank mitras' where bank customers can use Aadhaar to access various services like cash withdrawal, account opening and fund transfer even without going to a bank branch. Under Aadhaar Pay, merchants can accept payments through Aadhaar identification of their customers.
- Central Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017- this along with Integrated Goods and Services Tax Bill, 2017; Goods and Services Tax(Compensation to States) Bill,2017; Union Territory Goods and Services Tax Bill,2017 are the 4 GST related laws which were passed by the Lok Sabha on 29th March 2017 marking a major step towards the rollout of the single national tax on July 1, 2017. The major provisions are: 2.5% flat rate compounding scheme for small businesses with turnover up to Rs.50lakh, Centre can exempt some goods from CGST, Rs.20 lakh annual revenue threshold for GST, Tax rate capped at 40%( 20% central,205 state), Tax collected at source on CST capped at 2%(1%central,1% state),Registration in every state-no single state registration, Compensation to states for loss of revenues for five years, cess on luxury and sin goods to create a compensation fund, Anti-profiteering measures to ensure lower taxes passed to consumer, I-GST provides levy of tax on interstate supply of goods, Provision to set up GST appellate tribunal.
- 5%, 12%, 18% & 40% -these are the four tax slabs which will be there after the GST regime. Farmers and small traders will be exempted from taxes. 5% will be on edible oil, tea, sugar and spice mix; 12% on Mobile phone, garments, medicines, air and rail travel and under-construction flats; 18% on Restaurants, processed food, television, microwave, refrigerators, telephones and 40% on Medium Cars, SUVs and large cars(28% on small cars).
- 11,98,586 MW -the estimated total potential of renewable energy in the country, according to Energy Statistics2017. Rajasthan holds the highest share of this potential (14%), followed by Gujarat (13%) and Maharashtra (10%). Out of this the share from Solar sector is estimated to be 62.48%,Wind 33.78 %, Small-hydro 1.65%,Biomass power 1.46%, Bagasse based cogen in sugar mills 0.42% and Waste to Energy 0.21%.In 2016, the total installed capacity of grid interactive renewable power had gone up to 42,849,38MW which amounted to 3.6% of the total renewable generation potential.
- 10% -the import duty which the government has imposed on wheat and tur or arhar dal (pigeon pea) with immediate effect- move which is aimed at protecting interests of farmers as pricing of pulses fell below the minimum support price(MSP) across key producing states with expectation of record food grain production in this crop year ( July 2016-June 2017). This is for the first time in a decade when the government has imposed import duty on tur or arhar dal, as it had been pursuing zero duty on imports of pulses since 2006.
- Rs.50 lakhs -the income up to which individuals can file income tax return in the one page ITR Form-1(Sahaj) introduced from FY 2017-18. This form is valid for one residential property and other income such as interests. This will cover most tax payers.
- Aadhar Number, Details of aggregate cash deposits if exceeding Rs.2 lakhs during demonetization –these are the two major inclusions in Income Tax Return(ITR) forms for FY 2017-18 notified recently.
- Senior citizens of age 80 years or more- this along with Individuals or HUF with income of less than Rs.5 lakh and no refund are the only categories who have been granted exemption from electronically filing of income tax returns.
- 500m - the distance across national and state highways, within which the sale of liquor has been banned across the country except for the hilly states of Sikkim and Meghalaya. The Supreme Court said that its order covers all hotels and restaurants. The judges reduced the benchmark to 220 metres for highways passing through municipal councils with population of less than 20,000, a rule that would also apply to Himachal Pradesh.
- Bhubaneswar - the Indian city which will host the Men's Hockey World Cup 2018.
The Kalinga Stadium will host the two of hockey's biggest events, Men's Hockey World League Final 2017 and Men's Hockey World Cup 2018. The venue successfully hosted the 2014 Men's Hockey Champions Trophy. It is also home to the current Hockey India League champions, the Kalinga Lancers. The Men's Hockey World League Final in 2017 will take place between December 1-10, 2017. The Men's Hockey World Cup 2018 will take place in late November/early December and will see 15 teams join hosts India at the event.
- Kolkata –this place will host the summit clash of the U-17 World Cup football on October 28,2017 while Navi Mumbai and Guwahati were chosen to stage the semi-finals of the prestigious FIFA tournament the country is hosting for the first time. The announcement of the tournament schedule came after a seven-day visit by an eight-member FIFA team led by its head of events Jaime Yarza. The FIFA officials, along with Local Organising Committee members, inspected all the six cities - Kolkata, New Delhi, Guwahati, Margao, Kochi and Navi Mumbai - which will host the tournament.
- West Bengal –they won the Santosh Trophy for the 32nd time after a 1-0 win over Goa, extending their domination in the premier domestic football tournament. Playing in front of a vociferous home crowd, five-time winners Goa tried their best and controlled the match, but ran out of steam in the extra time. The hosts had their chances to score but the rival keeper pulled off some great saves. West Bengal, thus, ended a six-year wait having last won the title in 2011. Goa last won it in 2009. Goa, who had host the tournament thrice, lost to West Bengal in the semifinal in 1972 and the final in 1996, while winning against Kerala in 1990.
- Kuldeep Yadav- he became the 1st Indian left-arm male wrist spinner to play in test match when he was included in the playing squad of India in the 4th Test match against Australia at Dharamshala recently. In 2006, Preeti Dimri became the 1st Chinaman bowler in Indian woman's team.
- Ajinkya Rahane –he became India's 33rd Test Captain when he led India during the 4th test match against Australia at Dharamshala recently. He was handed the captaincy after sat out of the fourth Test since he wasn't 100% fit.
- India –they became the third nation to win Test series against all their opponents at the same point of time. Australia had recorded the distinction in 2004-05 and 2006-07 and South Africa in 2012-13. For the first time, India have won seven consecutive Test series -- from 2015 till date. With their victory in the Dharamsala Test by eight wickets, India have achieved a rare distinction of winning four consecutive Test series vs Australia in India since 2008.
- Ravindra Jadeja –he was adjudged the Man of the Series in the recently concluded India Australia Test series which India won 2-1.This was for the first time that Jadeja was adjudged the Man of Series.
- Virat Kohli - the Indian cricket captain has become the highest paid celebrity in India. Kohli recently increased his endorsement fees to Rs.5 crore a day for new contracts recently which was earlier Rs.2.5 crore-Rs.4.00 crore per day.