Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
Posted on : 10 Feb 2020Views: 968
- Recently, Indian Delegation criticises Pakistan for Raising Kashmir Issue at Inter-Parliamentary Union
- IPU had its 141 Assembly in October 2019 in Serbia.
- IPU is global inter-parliamentary institution.
- It was established in 1889 and was the first permanent forum for political multilateral negotiations.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Its initial objective was arbitration of conflicts.
- It played important role in setting up Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
- Over time, its mission has evolved towards promotion of democracy and inter-parliamentary dialogue.
- It has worked for establishment of institutions at inter-governmental level, including UN.
- Initially, IPU was for individual parliamentarians, but has since transformed into international organization of parliaments of sovereign states.
- The national parliaments of 178 countries are its members and 12 regional parliamentary assemblies are its associate members.
- The IPU has permanent observer status at UNGA.
- Slogan of IPU is “For democracy. For everyone.”
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements about Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
1.IPU had its 141 Assembly in October 2019 in Serbia.
2.It was established in 1889 and was the first permanent forum for political multilateral negotiations.
3.It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
Which of the above statement (s) is/are correct:
2.1 and 2 only
3.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1, 2 and 3