38th meeting of GST Council and All about GST Council
Posted on : 23 Dec 2019Views: 209
- The 38th meeting of the GST Council met under the Chairmanship of the Union Minister for Finance.
- The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council departed from its practice of consensus-based decision-making, opting the first time for a vote to settle differences among states.
- Grievance Redressal Committees (GRC) will be constituted at Zonal/State level with both CGST and SGST officers and including representatives of trade and industry and other GST stakeholders (GST practitioners and GSTN etc.).
- These committees will address grievances of specific/ general nature of taxpayers at the Zonal/ State level.
- The council has decided to impose a single rate of 28% on state-run and authorised lottery.
About GST Council
- Goods & Services Tax Council is a constitutional body (Article 279A) for making recommendations to the Union and State Government on issues related to Goods and Service Tax.
- As per Article 279A of the amended Constitution, the GST Council which will be a joint forum of the Centre and the States, shall consist of the following members: -
- the Union Finance Minister---Chairperson;
- the Union Minister of State in charge of Revenue or Finance---Member;
- The Minister in charge of Finance or Taxation or any other Minister nominated by each State Government---Members.
- The Cabinet also decided to provide for adequate funds for meeting the recurring and non-recurring expenses of the GST Council Secretariat, the entire cost for which shall be borne by the Central Government.
- Every decision of the Goods and Services Tax Council shall be taken at a meeting, by a majority of not less than three-fourths of the weighted votes of the members present and voting, in accordance with the following principles, namely: —
- the vote of the Central Government shall have a weightage of one third of the total votes cast, and
- The votes of all the State Governments taken together shall have a weightage of two-thirds of the total votes cast, in that meeting.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding GST Council
1.It is a statutory body.
2.Chairperson of this body is The Prime Minister.
3.Every decision of the Goods and Services Tax Council is taken by a majority of not less than three-fourths of the weighted votes of the members present and voting.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 3 only