About BrahMos cruise missiles
- The BrahMos is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, ships, aircraft, or land.
- It is the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world.
- It is a joint venture between the Russian Federation's NPO Mashinostroyeniya and India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) who together have formed BrahMos Aerospace.
- It is based on the Russian P-800 Oniks cruise missile and other similar sea-skimming Russian cruise missile technology.
- The name BrahMos is a portmanteau formed from the names of two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.
- It is the world's fastest anti-ship cruise missile in operation.
- In possibly the first sale of BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles to another country, Thailand.
- As part of the expanding defence cooperation between the two countries, Thailand has made a request for repair and refurbishing their Dornier maritime patrol aircraft.
- Discussions are on to integrate Thailand into India’s coastal surveillance radar chain network.
- The inaugural India, Thailand and Singapore trilateral naval exercise announced at Shangri-La dialogue is scheduled to be held later this year.