Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan)
Posted on : 18 Dec 2019Views: 153
- Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan) is a nation-wide Campaign launched by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) of Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment to provide universal accessibility to persons with disabilities.
- The campaign aims at providing equal opportunity to persons with disabilities to participate in all the aspects of life and live independently. The Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan focuses on developing accessible physical environment, transportation system and Information & communication ecosystem.
- The Government of India with firm commitment towards socio-economic transformation of the persons with disabilities is making efforts to create mass awareness for universal accessibility.
- India is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
- Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan) has the following three important components
- Built Environment Accessibility
- Transportation System Accessibility
- Information and Communication Eco-System Accessibility
United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)
- To develop, promulgate and monitor the implementation of minimum standards and guidelines for the accessibility of facilities and services open or provided to the public;
- To ensure that private entities that offer facilities and services which are open or provided to the public take into account all aspects of accessibility for persons with disabilities;
- To provide training for stakeholders on accessibility issues facing persons with disabilities;
- To provide in buildings and other facilities open to the public signage in Braille and in easy to read and understand forms;
- To provide forms of live assistance and intermediaries, including guidelines, readers and professional sign language interpreters, to facilitate accessibility to buildings and other facilities open to the public;
- To promote other appropriate forms of assistance and support to persons with disabilities to ensure their access to information;
- To promote access for persons with disabilities to new information and communications technologies and systems, including the Internet.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Accessible India campaign
1.It is a nation-wide Campaign launched by Ministry of skill development
2.It aims to provide universal accessibility to persons with disabilities.
3.India is a signatory to United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
Which of the statement given above is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 2 and 3 only