Atom and its characteristics
Posted on : 21 Dec 2019Views: 149
- An atom is the smallest particle of the element that can exist independently and retain all its chemical properties.
- J. Chadwick discovered the presence of neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.
- So, the three sub-atomic particles of an atom are (i) electrons, (ii) protons and (iii) neutrons.
- Electrons are negatively charged, protons are positively charged and neutrons have no charges.
- The mass of an electron is about 1/2000 times the mass of any hydrogen atom.
- The mass of a proton and a neutron are taken as one unit each.
- The mass number is defined as the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom.
- Atomic number is the total number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. The number of protons is always equal to the number of electrons in the neutral atom.
- Isotopes are atoms of the same element, which have different mass numbers.
- Isobars are atoms having the same mass number but different atomic numbers.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following regarding atoms
1.J. Chadwick discovered the presence of neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.
2.Isotopes are atoms of the same element, which have different mass numbers.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2