Bibi Ka Maqbara the famous 17th-century Mughal-era monument
Posted on : 09 Jan 2020Views: 127
- The structure, known as the ‘Taj of the Deccan’ because of its striking resemblance to the Taj Mahal, was built in 1668 by Azam Shah, the son of Aurangzeb to commemorate his mother Dilras Begum who was titled Rabia Durani post her death.
- Also called the Tomb of the Lady, Bibi Ka Maqbara was designed by Ataullah, the son of Ahmad Lahauri, the architect of the Taj Mahal which explains its appearance heavily based on the prime marvel.
- According to the "Tarikh Namah" of Ghulam Mustafa, the cost of construction of the mausoleum was Rs. 6,68,203 - 7,00,000.
- Bibi Ka Maqbara or tomb of Rabia Durani stands as a lone soul in the southern part.
- It was Aurangzeb’s long-standing governorship of Aurangabad that the shrine came to exist in the city and is today one of the most famous historical monuments in Maharashtra.
- Dilras Banu, born in the Safavid royal family of Iran, was the daughter of Shahnawaz Khan who was the then viceroy of the state of Gujarat.
- She married Aurangzeb in 1637 thus becoming his first consort and wife.
- Both Aurangzeb and his eldest son, Azam Shah couldn’t bear the loss of the most important woman in their lives.
- It was then in 1668 that Azam Shah ordered for a mausoleum to be built for his beloved mother on the lines of Taj Mahal, which was the resting place of Banu’s mother-in-law and Aurangzeb’s mother, Mumtaz Mahal.
Article Related Questions
Bibi Ka Maqbara the famous 17th-century Mughal-era monument was seen recently in news, consider the following statements regarding it
1.The structure is known as the Taj of the Deccan
2.It was built by Aurangzeb
3.Also called the Tomb of the Lady, Bibi Ka Maqbara was designed by Ataullah.
Which of the following statement is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only