Biorock or mineral accretion technology
Posted on : 27 Feb 2020Views: 440
- The Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), with help from Gujarat’s forest department, is attempting for the first time a process to restore coral reefs using bio rock or mineral accretion technology.
- Biorock is the name given to the substance formed by electro accumulation of minerals dissolved in seawater on steel structures that are lowered onto the sea bed and are connected to a power source, in this case, solar panels that float on the surface.
- A biorock structure has been installed one nautical mile off the Mithapur coast in the Gulf of Kachchh.
- The location for installing the biorock had been chosen to keep in mind the high tidal amplitude in the Gulf of Kachchh.
- The low tide depth where the biorock has been installed is four metres, and at high tide, it is about eight metres.
- Mineral Accretion Technology is a coral reef restoration technology that utilizes low voltage electricity to improve the health and growth rates of corals and other marine organisms.
- The technology works by passing a small amount of electrical current through electrodes in the water.
- When a positively charged anode and negatively charged cathode are placed on the seafloor, with an electric current flowing between them, calcium ions combine with carbonate ions and adhere to the structure (cathode).
- This results in calcium carbonate formation. Coral larvae adhere to the CaCO3 and grow quickly.
- Fragments of broken corals are tied to the biorock structure, where they are able to grow at least four to six times faster than their actual growth as they need not spend their energy in building their own calcium carbonate skeletons.
Article Related Questions
India is attempting for the first time a process to restore coral reefs using bio rock or mineral accretion technology. Regarding the technology, consider the following statements
1.It is a coral reef restoration technology that utilizes low voltage electricity to improve the health and growth rates of corals and other marine organisms.
2.It works by passing electrical current through electrodes in the water.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2