Breast Milk Banks by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Posted on : 18 Dec 2019Views: 111
- Breast Milk Banks are established under “National Guidelines on Establishment of Lactation Management Centres in Public Health Facilities” by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It is established for the purpose of collecting, screening, processing, storing and distributing donor human milk at Government Medical Colleges or District Hospitals with high delivery load and availability of newborn treatment units.
- It has a collection and storage facility of mother’s own milk in District Hospital/Sub-district Hospital with at least 12 beds.
- These are established at all delivery points to provide breastfeeding support, lactation counselling and Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) support to mothers.
- The first Breast Milk Bank of India was established in 1989 at Mumbai.
- Breast milk is the optimum source of nutrition for the first six months of life of an infant.
- It prevents infections like diarrhoea and acute respiratory infections in early infancy and thus reduces infant mortality.
- It decreases the risk of mothers developing breast cancer, ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
- MAA - "Mothers Absolute Affection" is a nationwide programme of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to promote breastfeeding.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Breast Milk Banks
1.They are established by Ministry of women and child development.
2.The first Breast Milk Bank of India was established in 1989 at New Delhi.
3.It prevents infections like diarrhoea and acute respiratory infections in early infancy and thus reduces infant mortality.
Which of the statement given above is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 3 only