Brus of Mizoram
Posted on : 27 Jan 2020Views: 255
- Since October 1, six members of the Reang or Bru community have reportedly died in relief camps in Tripura, after the Centre decided to stop food supplies and cash dole. The Tripura government announced that it would restore food supplies, leading to the Brus withdrawing a road blockade they had set up for eight days.
- They were among 32,000 Brus living in these camps since 1997, when they fled their homes in Mizoram.
- Bru or Reang is a community indigenous to Northeast India, living mostly in Tripura, Mizoram and Assam.
- In Tripura, they are recognized as a Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group.
- In Mizoram, they have been targeted by groups that do not consider them indigenous to the state.
- A conflict with the majority Mizos in 1995 made influential organizations like the Mizo Zirlai Pawl (students’ union) demand that the Brus, labeled a non-indigenous tribe, be deleted from Mizoram’s electoral rolls. This led to an armed movement by the extremist Bru National Liberation Front, which killed a Mizo forest official on October 21, 1997.
- In 1997, following ethic clashes, nearly 37,000 Brus fled Mamit, Kolasib and Lunglei districts of Mizoram and were accommodated in relief camps in Tripura. Since then, 5,000 have returned to Mizoram in eight phases of repatriation, while 32,000 still live in six relief camps in North Tripura.
- In June 2018, community leaders from the Bru camps signed an agreement in Delhi with the Centre and the two state governments, providing for repatriation in Mizoram. But most camp residents rejected the terms of the agreement and “insufficient”. After a series of meetings over repatriation failed to make headway, the government suspended food supplies.
Article Related Questions
Recently the Centre decided to stop food supplies and cash dole to the Bru community. In this context, consider the following statements
1.Bru or Reang community is indigenous to Northeast India.
2.Brus are recognized as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group (PVTG) in Mizoram.
3.A bout of ethnic violence in 1997 forced the Bru community to leave their homes in Tripura.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
2.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 only