Chabahar port located in the Sistan-Baluchistan Province on Iran
Posted on : 27 Dec 2019Views: 267
- The Chabahar port is located in the Sistan-Baluchistan Province on Iran’s southern coast on the Gulf of Oman.
- In 2003, India, Afghanistan and Iran, under the North-South Transport Corridor framework, signed the Chabahar port agreement, allowing all three countries to utilize the Chabahar port as a trade hub.
- Afghanistan is connected to the port through its land border with Iran, and India via the sea. Thus, the port is readily accessible for all the three countries and acts to facilitate trade among them.
- Chabahar is considered to be a significant opportunity for India and Afghanistan to bypass Pakistan’s Gwadar seaport and its trade routes.
- The first phase of Chabahar port was inaugurated in December 2017. India committed to invest $500 million, according to the first phase agreement.
- Chabahar is the only port outside of Pakistan that connects Afghanistan to the sea.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following descriptions about a seaport
1.It is located in the Sistan-Baluchistan Province on the Gulf of Oman.
2.It facilitates trade among India, Afghanistan and Iran.
3.The port connects India to major energy producers in Central Asia.
Which of the following port correctly describe the above statements?
3.Shahid Kalantari port
Right Ans : Chabahar port