Posted on : 01 Jan 2020Views: 613
- Chandrayaan-2 is a completely indigenous lunar mission that will boldly go where no country has ever gone- the Moon’s South Polar Region.
- The mission will help us gain a better understanding of origin and evolution of moon by conducting detailed topographic studies, comprehensive mineralogical analyses and a host of other experiments on the lunar surface.
- The aim of the mission is to attempt soft landing of the lander - Vikram and rover – Pragyan in a high plain between two craters at altitude of about 70°S
- Vikram Lander is named after Dr.Vikram Sarabhai and is designed to function for 1 lunar day (i.e. 14 earth days). It has the capability to communicate with Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN) near Bangalore as well as with the orbiter and rover.
- Pragyan (‘wisdom’ in Sanskrit) Rover is a 6-wheeled robotic vehicle can communicate only with the lander and leverages solar energy for its functioning.
Article Related Questions
Vikram and Pragyan, seen in the news recently are:
1.Long Range Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) developed by DRDO.
2.Lander and Rover of ISRO’s Chandrayaan-2 mission.
3.Indigenously built Light Combat Aircrafts by HAL.
4.Altitude long-endurance Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) by DRDO.
Right Ans : Lander and Rover of ISRO’s Chandrayaan-2 mission.