Chenani-Nashri tunnel of Jammu and Kashmir
Posted on : 20 Dec 2019Views: 211
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated this tunnel in April, 2017.
- This tunnel links Kashmir Valley with Jammu by an all-weather route.
- This 9 km long, twin-tube, all-weather tunnel between Udhampur and Ramban in Jammu & Kashmir is not only India’s longest highways tunnel but also Asia’s longest bi-directional highways tunnel.
- Built at an elevation of 1200 metres on one of the most difficult Himalayan terrains, the tunnel cuts the travel time between Jammu and Srinagar by two hours, bypassing about 41 kms of road length.
- It also ensures an all-weather passage on a route that often sees heavy traffic jams and disruptions due to landslides, snow, sharp curves, breakdown of vehicles and accidents.
- The tunnel is a part of the 286-km-long four-laning of the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway.
- The tunnel has an efficient, transverse ventilation system. There are inlets bringing fresh air at 8 metre intervals and outlet for exhaust every 100 metres.
- There is also a fully-integrated control system with ventilation, communication, power supply, incident detection, SOS call box and fire fighting.
- Fitted with intelligent traffic mechanism, the tunnel has fully automatic smart control and no human intervention will be required for its operations.
- The tunnel is also equipped with advanced scanners to ward off any security threat. Very few tunnels in the world have this kind of fully integrated tunnel control.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements about Chenani – Nashri tunnel
1.This tunnel links Kashmir Valley with Jammu by an all-weather route.
2.It is Asia’s longest bi-directional highways tunnel.
3.This tunnel will be renamed after Bharatiya Jana Sangh founder Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.1 and 3 only
3.1 and 2 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only