Chief of Defence Staff
Posted on : 02 Jan 2020Views: 311
- General Bipin Rawat has been named the country's first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
- General Rawat is the first officer to hold the post of the Chief of Defence Staff, which was set up recently.
- CDS will function as a single-point advisor to the government on matters related to the military and will focus on the better synergy between the Indian Army, Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy.
- The defence ministry had recently amended the army, air force and navy rules by bringing in a new clause that allows the Chief of Defence Staff to serve up to a maximum age of 65 years.
- Recently, in a landmark decision, the Union Cabinet had given its approval to create the post of Chief of Defence Staff in the rank of a four-star General with salary and perquisites equivalent to a Service Chief.
- The Chief of Defence Staff will also head the Department of Military Affairs (DMA), to be created within the Ministry of Defence and function as its Secretary.
- The Chief of Defence Staff, apart from being the head of the Department of Military Affairs, will also be the Permanent Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee. He will act as the Principal Military Adviser to Defence Minister on all tri-Services matters.
- The three Chiefs will continue to advise Defence Minister on matters exclusively concerning their respective Services. CDS will not exercise any military command, including over the three Service Chiefs, so as to be able to provide impartial advice to the political leadership.
- CDS will also bring about reforms in the functioning of three Services aimed at augmenting combat capabilities of the Armed Forces by reducing wasteful expenditure.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding Chief of Defence Staff
1.Chief of Defence Staff is the rank of a four-star General.
2.The Chief of Defence Staff will also head the Department of Military Affairs (DMA).
3.Chief of Defence Staff can serve up to a maximum age of 65 years.
Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1, 2 and 3