Climate Change Performance Index
Posted on : 03 Jan 2020Views: 859
- India for the first time ranks among the top ten in the Climate Change Performance Index, CCPI.
- It goes further to prove that all efforts and activities being currently undertaken by the government are setting a tone of vast improvements.
- Government aims to increase the share of non-fossil fuels to 175 Giga Watt by 2022 and further take it to 450 GW.
- A time bound national level strategy for pan India implementation to tackle the increasing air pollution problem in a comprehensive manner in the form of National Clean Air Programme was launched last year.
- India is among few countries in the world where forest cover is consistently increasing.
- The total forest and tree cover rises to over 24 percent of the total geographical area of the Country.
- In this year’s index, Sweden leads the ranking on rank 4, followed by Denmark (5) and Morocco (6). The bottom five in this year’s CCPI are Islamic Republic of Iran (57), Republic of Korea (58), Chinese Taipei (59), Saudi Arabia (60) and the United States (61), rated low or very low across almost all categories.
- Developed by NewClimate Institute, Germanwatch and CAN, the index ties in with the global Climate Change Performance Index by Germanwatch, a rating of the 58 largest emitters of GHG emissions globally that has been published annually since 2006.
- The Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) is an independent monitoring tool for tracking countries’ climate protection performance.
- It aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by individual countries.
- In 2017, the underlying methodology of the CCPI was revised and adapted to the new climate policy framework of the Paris Agreement from 2015.
- The CCPI was extended in order to include the measurement of a country’s progress towards the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and the country’s 2030 targets.
Article Related Questions
Which organization releases Climate Change Performance Index?
1.NewClimate Institute, Germanwatch and CAN
2.United Nations Environment Programme
4.Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
Right Ans : NewClimate Institute, Germanwatch and CAN