Colistin - important antibiotics in human medicine
Posted on : 20 Jan 2020Views: 454
- Colistin is one of the most important antibiotics in human medicine because it is used as a “last resort” to treat people with infections that are resistant to almost all other drugs.
- Despite this, for years it has been indiscriminately added to animal feed on Indian farms, breeding deadly bugs.
- The use of antibiotics to fatten up animals — known as “growth promotion” — is a major cause of the world's growing antibiotic resistance crisis. The World Health Organisation says the practice should be banned.
- Now, the drug cannot be used even as a veterinary medicine for farm animals.
- The ban follows recommendations earlier this year by India’s top drug advisory body, the Drugs Technical Advisory Board, and the National Antimicrobial Resistance Action Plan committee.
- DTAB is highest statutory decision-making body on technical matters related to drugs in the country.
- It is constituted as per the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940.
- It is part of Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Article Related Questions
What is the major reason behind the ban on the manufacture, sale and distribution of Colistin and its formulations throughout the India?
1.Its use in e-cigarettes were severely affecting the health of children
2.Its arbitrary use in pesticides was leading to the phenomenon of eutrophication.
3.Its increasing concentration in Ganga River was affecting its marine life.
4.Its arbitrary addition to the animal feed was leading to anti-microbial resistance.
Right Ans : Its arbitrary addition to the animal feed was leading to anti-microbial resistance.