Dhanush artillery gun
Posted on : 27 Feb 2020Views: 236
- Dhanush, the 155 mm/45-calibre gun system is a towed Howitzer designed indigenously by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- It is the first long-range artillery gun to be produced in India and has been billed as a success of the government’s Make in India initiative.
- Hitting range:The gun has a maximum range of 36.5 km and has the capability of automatic alignment and positioning.
- It is equipped with an inertial navigation-based sighting system, auto-laying facility, onboard ballistic computation and advanced day and night direct firing system
- Apart from the above, the gun is also fitted with an inertial navigation system with global positioning system- (GPS) based gun recording and auto-playing, an enhanced tactical computer for onboard ballistic computations, an onboard muzzle velocity recording, an automated gun sighting system equipped with the camera, thermal imaging and laser range finder.
- Joint effort: It is a joint effort by the OFB, the Army, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Directorate General Quality Assurance, PSUs Bharat Electronics Limited, SAIL, and private firms.
- Dhanushis an improved version of the FH-77B 155 mm/39-calibre field howitzers that were originally produced by AB Bofors of Sweden, which is now BAE Systems.
- It is compatible with all North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) 155 mm ammunition system.
Article Related Questions
With reference to the ‘Dhanush artillery gun’, consider the following statements
1.Dhanush is a towed Howitzer designed indigenously by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
2.It is the first long-range artillery gun to be produced in Russia.
3.It is an improved version of the FH-77B 155 mm/39-calibre field howitzers.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only