Posted on : 20 Feb 2020Views: 377
- Name: Diego the horny tortoise.
- Age: About 100.
- Appearance: Roughly 5ft (1.5 metres) long, weighs 80kg (12.5st), leathery skin, long neck, large shell on his back.
- In the 1970s, his species, Chelonoidishoodensis, which is native to Española Island in the Galápagos, was down to its last 14 survivors in the wild and was threatening to follow several other giant Galápagos tortoise species into extinction.
- Diego himself was in San Diego zoo in California for 30 years after being taken from Española for scientific research, but in 1976 was returned to a breeding center on Santa Cruz, one of the larger islands in the Galápagos.
- Since then, Diego has produced an estimated 800 offspring, making him an international sex superstar and saving the species.
- The breeding program helped increase the tortoise population to 2,000 from 15.
- There is another male tortoise called E5 who has fathered even more progeny, but because he doesn’t have a proper name and tends to be more discreet in his lovemaking he has been largely ignored.
Article Related Questions
Recently, ‘Diego tortoise’ was seen in the news. In this context, which of the following statements are correct about Chelonoidishoodensis?
1.Chelonoidishoodensis are the largest living species of tortoise.
2.Under the IUCN list Chelonoidishoodensis fall under ‘endangered’ category.
3.Chelonoidishoodensis are native to Galápagos Islands.
Choose the correct answer:
2.1 and 3 only
3.2 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only