Eat Right Mela and ‘Eat Right India’ Movement
Posted on : 30 Dec 2019Views: 484
- Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare inaugurated the second edition of the ‘Eat Right Mela’ at Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium.
- Eat Right Mela of FSSAI is an effort and outreach activity for citizens to nudge them towards eating right.
- India, on one side, is suffering from under-nourishment resulting in infirmities such as wasting and stunting and on the other side, there is another critical area of concern to be addressed i.e. obesity, which is apparently the result of excessive consumption of junk food, wrong choices of food, overeating and lack of exercise. In this context, the movement of ‘Eat Right India’ started by FSSAI is a timely initiative”.
- The Union Minister launched ‘The PURPLE Book’ a handbook on diets for diseases. The book provides general guidelines for hospitals on suitable diets for common medical conditions.
- NetSCoFAN (Network for Scientific Co-operation for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition), a network of research & academic institutions working in the area of food & nutrition along with the NetSCoFAN directory, covering detailed information of various heads/Directors and lead scientists of lead and associated partnering institutions was also launched.
- The NetSCoFAN would comprise of eight groups of institutions working in different areas viz. biological, chemical, nutrition & labelling, food of animal origin, food of plant origin, water & beverages, food testing, and safer & sustainable packaging.
- FSSAI has identified eight Nodal Institutions who would develop a ‘Ready Reckoner’ that will have inventory of all research work, experts and institutions and would carry out and facilitate research, survey and related activities.
About ‘Eat Right India’ Movement
- 'Eat Right India’ Movement, a mass-movement or ‘Jan Andolan’ was launched by FSSAI to coincide with celebrations of 150th years of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The Movement is an effort to bring together other flagship programmes of the government, like Poshan Abhiyan, Ayushman Bharat, Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan and Anemia-Mukt Bharat.
- Eat Right India Movement has four key elements:
- ‘Swasth Bharat Yatra’, a nationwide cycle relay
- ‘Eat Right Creativity Challenge’ for posters, wall art and digital creatives
- ‘Eat Right Awards’ and ‘Eat Right Start-up Awards’ for industry, individuals and start-ups and
- ‘Eat Right Melas’ to engage, excite and enable citizens and food businesses towards safe and healthy foods.
- Recognizing the significance of street food culture in the country, ‘Eat Right Mela’ is being organized in partnership with the National Street Food Festival by NASVI.
Article Related Questions
Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare inaugurated the second edition of the ‘Eat Right Mela’. Which of the following is/are correct regarding the ‘Eat Right India’ movement?
1.It is launched by FSSAI
2.The Movement is an effort to bring together other flagship programmes of the government, like Poshan Abhiyan, Ayushman Bharat, Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan and Anemia-Mukt Bharat.
Select the correct answer using the code given below
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2