First Ministerial-level Meeting of Quad
Posted on : 25 Dec 2019Views: 75
- The Quadrilateral Strategic Dialogue (“the Quad”) between India, Australia, Japan and the U.S. held its first Minister-level meeting since it was revived in 2017 in Ney York in September 2019.
- The groupis seen as a regional counter-weight to China and has only met at the Joint or Assistant Secretary level since 2017.
- The Ministers “met to discuss collective efforts in our shared commitments and close cooperation on counter terrorism, mentoring, assistance in disaster relief, airtime security, cooperation, development, finance and cyber-security efforts.
- The National Investigation Agency (NIA)also hosted the first counter-terrorism exercise for the “Quad” countries in Delhi on November 21-22. The ‘CT-TTX’ (counter-terrorism table-top exercise) is first such engagement among the Quad countries on regional and global issues of common interest and also in the domain of counter-terrorism and cooperation.
- Quad as an informal strategic dialogue was first mooted by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in 2007. However, the idea couldn’t move ahead with Australia pulling out of it.
- The Quad is essentially rejuvenated against the backdrop of an emerging narrative for a free and open Indo-Pacific, and not much for a pan-regional inclusiveness. This narrative is presumably aimed against China, as its heavy militarization and territorial claims in the South China Sea along with its strategic naval outposts in the Indian Ocean region is being primarily held as the main disrupting force in the region.
- Members of Quad share a vision of a free and open Indo-Pacific and establishing rules based order in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Members of the Quad, barring Australia, are engaged in the annual Malabar exercises – military exercises that started between India and the U.S. in 1994 and became trilateral (with Japan) in 2015.
Article Related Questions
With reference to Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (“the Quad”), consider the following statements
1.The Quad is an informal security dialogue that has not yet been formalized at the ministerial level.
2.All the members of Quad are currently engaged in the annual Malabar exercises.
3.CT-TTX exercise for counter-terrorism cooperation was held among the Quad countries.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
2.1 and 2 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.None of the above
Right Ans : 3 only