Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
Posted on : 13 Jan 2020Views: 183
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a statutory body under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The Food Safety and Standards Act (FSS), 2006 is the primary law for regulation of food products. This act also sets up the formulation and enforcement of food safety standards in India. The FSSAI appoints food safety authorities on the state level.
- The FSSAI functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The main aim of FSSAI is to
- Lay down science-based standards for articles of food
- To regulate manufacture, storage, distribution, import and sale of food
- To facilitate safety of food
- Standards framed by FSSAI are prescribed under Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Regulation, 2011, Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulation, 2011 and Food Safety and Standards (Contaminants, Toxins, and Residues) Regulations, 2011.
The FSSAI has prescribed standards for following food products:
- Dairy products and analogues
- Fats, oils and fat emulsions
- Fruits and vegetable products
- Cereal and cereal products
- Meat and meat products
- Fish and fish products
- Sweets & confectionery
- Sweetening agents including honey
- Salt, spices, condiments and related products
- Beverages, (other than dairy and fruits & vegetables based)
- Other food product and ingredients
- Proprietary food
- Irradiation of food
Article Related Questions
Which of the following functions are performed by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)?
1.Helping people to bring behavioral changes to adopt the habit of eating safe and eating right.
2.Regulating the food markets in India
3.Has no power to set up committees to study the problems in the food regulation and made recommendations
Choose the correct option
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.1 and 2 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 2 only