Posted on : 03 Jan 2020Views: 231
- Four Indian Air Force men have been selected as candidate astronauts for India’s first human space mission scheduled for 2022 and their training is expected to start later this month, the Indian Space Research Organisatio+n announced.
- India’s proposed Gaganyaan mission seeks to send three astronauts in a space capsule into an orbit between 300km and 400km above the Earth for up to seven days.
- All astronauts selected for first-time space missions by other countries have also been air force or navy pilots. Only Russia, the US and China have sent astronauts into space aboard their own homegrown spacecraft.
- India’s Gaganyaan mission will be preceded by two unmanned flights.
- The year also marked the 50th launch of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- For the first time, the spent fourth stage of the PSLV was successfully demonstrated as an experimental orbital platform. Indigenously developed Vikram processor by Semi-Conductor Laboratory was flight tested during the year.
- International mobile standards body 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) approved India’s regional navigation satellite system NavIC which would facilitate NavIC’s use in mobile phones.
- A special programme for school children called “Yuva VIgyani KAryakram (YUVIKA)"aimed at imparting basic knowledge on Space Technology, Space Science and Space Applications was also introduced during the last year.
Article Related Questions
With reference to Gaganyaan mission, consider the following statements
1.It is India’s first human space mission scheduled for 2022.
2.India would be the first country in the world to send astronauts in the space.
Which of the following statements is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : 1 only