Geranium Production and Aroma Mission
Posted on : 30 Dec 2019Views: 3642
- Scientists from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research- Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CSIR-CIMAP), Lucknow have developed a new low-cost technology to prepare Geranium saplings and make this available for the farmers too.
- Geranium plant has huge medicinal value and its essential oil works as an anti-inflammatory and anti-septic agent.
- The production of Geranium has got boost under the Aroma mission.
- Till now the plant of Geranium was saved in aerated glass house, but now with the development of the protective shed technology of the polyhouse, it is prepared at a much cheaper cost on the farmer's farm itself.
About Aroma Mission
- CSIR’s Aroma Mission aims to increase the income of the farmers through cultivation of high value and high demand aromatic crops by about Rs. 30,000 to 60,000/ha/year.
- About 45,000 skilled human resource capable of multiplying quality planting material, distillation, fractionation and value addition will also be developed under “Skill India” initiatives.
- CSIR Aroma Mission aims to:
- Making India a hub of opportunities in the domain of aroma products by developing and disseminating aroma related S & T to reach end users/clients of CSIR; farmers, industry and society, leading to creation of business opportunities, rural development and life-quality improvement. All this will be implemented without causing harm to the environment.
- Attain self-sufficiency in the production of a majority of essential oils used by domestic aroma industry and reducing foreign exchange drain due to imports.
- Help in transforming India’s image from the producer of raw material to an exporter of finished, value-added products of consistent quality and efficacy.
Article Related Questions
Consider the following statements regarding “Geranium plant”.
1.Geranium plant has huge medicinal value and its essential oil works as an anti-inflammatory and anti-septic agent.
2.The production of Geranium has got boost under the Aroma mission.
Which of the following statements is/are correct?
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2