Global Gender Gap Index
Posted on : 28 Jan 2020Views: 353
- Gender parity is fundamental to whether and how economies and societies thrive. Ensuring the full development and appropriate deployment of half of the world’s total talent pool has a vast bearing on the growth, competitiveness and future-readiness of economies and businesses worldwide. The Global Gender Gap Report benchmarks 149 countries on their progress towards gender parity across four thematic dimensions: Economic Participation and Opportunity, Educational Attainment, Health and Survival, and Political Empowerment. In addition, this year’s edition studies skills gender gaps related to Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- India made no improvement in the overall gender gap ranking by the World Economic Forum (WEF) in 2018, compared to 2017. It stood at a low 108 out of the 149 countries in 2018, the same as in 2017.
- It is worth noting that, from a low base, South Asia has made the fastest progress on closing its gender gap of any world region over the past decade.
- According to the report, Nordic countries continue to lead the way to gender parity
- India ranked 18th in political empowerment and 4th in the number of years a female or a male ruled a state.
Article Related Questions
With reference to the Global Gender Gap Index, consider the following statements
1.South Asia has made the fastest progress on closing its gender gap of any world region over past decade.
2.The index is released by World Bank.
3.India ranked 4th in the number of years a female or a male ruled a state.
Which of the above statements are correct?
1.1 and 2 only
2.2 and 3 only
3.1 and 3 only
4.1, 2 and 3
Right Ans : 1 and 3 only