India called upon more countries to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to reduce dependence on fossil fuels to meet the growing energy requirement
Posted on : 10 Dec 2019Views: 185
- Ministerial Plenary on “SOLAR AND THE SIDS – Making the Sun Shine Brighter” was held on the sidelines of the 25th session of Conference of Parties under the UN framework convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC COP25), in Madrid, Spain.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and former French President Francois Hollande had unveiled the International Solar Alliance (ISA) in 2015.
- The project was launched to combine the efforts of both countries to work against climate change and adopt renewable energy, replacing the use of fossil fuels.
- A total of 121 countries are prospective members of ISA, usually those located between the equator and the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
- The ISA is the first international body to have a secretariat in India. Although it was founded in Paris, France, its headquarters is in Gurugram, India. The first assembly of ISA will be held in Delhi on 2nd October 2018.
- Two countries – Eritrea and St. Kittis and Nevis, signed the framework agreement of ISA on October 31, 2019. With this 83 countries have signed the ISA framework agreement.
Article Related Questions
With reference to International Solar Alliance, consider the following statements
1.It was launched by India and France in 2015
2.The ISA is the first international body to have a secretariat in India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
3.Both 1 and 2
4.Neither 1 nor 2
Right Ans : Both 1 and 2