India deploys INS Vikramaditya amidst Sea Guardians
Posted on : 15 Jan 2020Views: 80
- India has deployed its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in the Arabian Sea at a time China and Pakistan are holding a nine-day mega naval exercise in the region, a move seen as New Delhi sending a signal to its two neighbours.
- Pakistan and China launched a major drill in the North Arabian Sea with an aim to increase inter-operability and strategic cooperation between their two navies.
- The exercise 'Sea Guardians' is taking place in the midst of heightened tension between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir issue. Key platforms of both China and Pakistan, including submarines, destroyers and frigates are part of the exercise.
- Aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, with MiG29K fighters on board, has been sent with a strategic objective.
- China is developing Pakistan's deep water Gwadar port in North Arabian Sea and has ramped up its military presence in the region, triggering concerns in India.
- Gwadar is being connected through the over USD 60 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) to China's Xinjiang province, providing a key land route to China to access the warm waters of Arabian Sea.
- The Arabian Sea provides entry to the Indian Ocean where China has built a logistics base at Djibouti in the Horn of Africa.
Article Related Questions
Exercise Sea Guardians is conducted between which two countries?
The 1857 Uprising was the culmination of the recurrent big and small local rebellions that occured in the preceding hundred years of British Rule. Elucidate (Answer in 150 words) - 2019 Mains
1.India and USA
2.China and South Korea
3.Japan, USA and India
4.Pakistan and China
Right Ans : Pakistan and China